Dressing for your body type can help you feel confident and beautiful. Here are tips to choose flattering clothes for every body type.
- Hourglass: Wear fitted clothing that cinches at the waistline, such as wrap dresses, belted jackets, and high-waisted pants.
- Rectangle: Go for clothing that adds volume to upper and lower body, like peplum tops, A-line skirts, and wide-leg pants.
- Inverted Triangle: Balance your figure with clothing that adds fullness to the lower body, like flared pants, A-line skirts, and wide-leg jeans.
- Triangle: Draw attention to your upper body with clothing that adds volume to shoulders and bust, like off-shoulder tops, boat necklines, and broad collars.
Pro Tip – Wear what makes you feel confident and comfortable.
Understanding Different Body Types
Are you aware of your body type? It’s essential to know which clothing styles will look great on you. Everybody is unique, and there are many body shapes and sizes. So, it’s beneficial to realize your shape and use this knowledge to pick the right clothes. Let’s go in-depth and learn how to dress for each body type.
Identifying the different body types for women
Four main women’s body types exist: apple, pear, hourglass and rectangle. Knowing which type your body is can help you pick clothing to flatter and show off your shape.
- Apple – Weight mainly around midsection, slimmer arms and legs. Opt for A-line dresses, V-neck tops and high-waisted leggings.
- Pear – Weight mainly around hips, butt and thighs, smaller upper body. Choose A-line skirts, bootcut pants and wrap dresses to show off your waistline.
- Hourglass – Balanced upper and lower body, a defined waistline. Go for form-fitting dresses, wide-leg pants and crop tops to emphasise curves.
- Rectangle – Straight figure, little waist definition. Wear jackets with a defined waist, high-waisted pants and fitted skirts to create more shape.
Identifying the different body types for men
Knowing your body type is key when it comes to dressing well. There are three primary male body types: ectomorphs, mesomorphs and endomorphs.
- Ectomorphs have a thin bone structure, long and narrow body shape and have difficulty gaining weight and muscle.
- Mesomorphs are athletic, with broad shoulders, narrow waist and low body fat. They naturally build muscle.
- Endomorphs have a rounder figure and higher body fat. They usually store fat around their waist, hips and thighs.
By identifying your body type, you can pick clothes that look great on you. This will help boost your self-confidence.
Dressing for Your Body Type
Dressing for your body type is key. Different body types require different styles and cuts of clothing to look good. Knowing what works for you will make you look stylish and feel confident. Here are some tips and tricks to help you dress for your body type. Get ready to look awesome!
An apple-shaped body has a fuller upper body, a round midsection, and slimmer legs. To flatter this shape, you need to balance the upper and lower body and draw attention to the waistline. Here are some tips:
- Pick tops with a V-neckline to elongate the upper body and draw focus to the face.
- Go for A-line dresses or skirts that flare out at the bottom for a slimmer leg look.
- Avoid clingy or tight-fitting clothes that emphasize the midsection.
- Opt for high-waisted pants or skirts to highlight the waistline and create balance.
- Accessorize with belts or statement jewelry to draw eyes to the waistline.
Pro Tip: The key is to balance the top and bottom and highlight the waist with the correct clothing and accessories.
Guidelines for Apple-Shaped Body
If you have an apple-shaped body, here are some tips for dressing to flatter your figure.
- Draw attention to your upper half: V-neck and scoop necklines can create a longer, slimmer look. Statement jewelry can also be used to draw focus away from the midsection.
- Empire waists are a great choice: Cinching just below the bust, they fit up top and flow out below, a great look!
- A-line skirts and dresses: Avoid tight clothes around the waist, and opt for A-line skirts and dresses that skim the tummy and hips.
- Dark and solid colors: Dark and solid colors can be slimming, so think black, navy, and dark green for bottoms, and neutral tones for tops.
- Don’t forget shapewear: Shapewear can smooth out your middle and create a sleek silhouette.
Clothing Recommendations for Apple-Shaped Body
Got an apple-shaped bod? You may be struggling to find clothes that fit and flatter your figure. Here are some tips that can help you dress to impress and feel confident.
- Show off your assets: Highlight your arms or legs with well-fitted sleeves or bottoms. Flowy tops and mid-length skirts can balance your figure and create a nice silhouette.
- Opt for V-necks: V-neck tops and dresses will elongate your torso and create a slimmer look.
- Avoid boxy styles: Oversized and boxy clothing can add extra weight to your upper body.
- Go monochromatic: Wearing one color from head to toe can give you a streamlined look and make you appear slimmer.
- Pick the right accessories: Statement earrings or necklaces can draw attention away from your midsection and towards your face. A stylish belt can cinch your waist and give you an hourglass figure.
Remember, dressing for your body type is not about changing who you are, but emphasizing your best features and feeling comfortable in your own skin.
The pear-shaped body type has a smaller upper body, but wider hips, thighs, and butt. To balance the proportions, one should accentuate the upper body and downplay the lower body. Here’s how to dress a pear-shaped body:
- Opt for tops that highlight the shoulders and waist and skim over the hips and thighs.
- Wear bottoms that elongate the legs, with a straight or slightly flared cut. Avoid tight-fitting shorts, skirts, or capris.
- Show off the waistline with belts, high-waisted skirts/pants, or cinched dresses.
- Play with patterns and textures on the upper body to draw attention upwards.
By following these tips, you can dress to flatter your figure and feel confident and stylish!
Guidelines for Pear-Shaped Body
If you have a pear-shaped body, here are some tips to help you choose flattering clothes.
- Draw attention to your upper half with statement necklaces, off-the-shoulder tops, or boatneck shirts.
- Wear pants and skirts tailored to flatter your curves, with a mid or high-rise waistline.
- Add volume and interest to your top half with horizontal stripes or eye-catching patterns. Keep your bottom half neutral and streamlined.
- Highlight your curves with wrap dresses, pencil skirts, or fitted blouses.
Remember, confidence is key. Choose clothes that make you feel comfortable and express your personal style.
Clothing Recommendations for Pear-Shaped Body
If you have a pear-shaped body, you’ll want to choose clothes that show off your curves and balance your proportions. Here are some tips to make you look your best and boost your confidence!
Tops: Opt for boat-neck shirts, off-the-shoulder tops or tops with sleeve detailing.
Bottoms: Choose pants or skirts that elongate your legs and cinch at the waist. Avoid skinny jeans and tapered-cut pants. Bootcut jeans and A-line skirts work best.
Dresses: A-line cut dresses, wrap dresses, and fit and flare dresses cinched at the waist look great.
Outerwear: Structured jackets, blazers or coat dresses that cinch the waist are ideal.
Accessories: For a stunning look, add chunky necklaces, statement earrings or beautiful scarfs to draw focus from your hips and bottom.
These recommendations will make you look amazing, and help you feel beautiful and confident.
The hourglass figure is known for its well-defined waist, equal hips and bust. To flaunt those curves, here are some tips!
- Cinch in at the waist with belts, fitted jackets and wrap dresses.
- Highlight your bust with V-necklines and scoop necks.
- Show off those curves with bodycon dresses, pencil skirts, and skinny jeans.
- Say no to shapeless, baggy clothing and opt for slim or straight-leg pants.
- Ruching, gathering, and embellishments in the hip area will show off your assets.
- Balance your proportions with statement jewelry and bold prints to flatter your upper body.
Guidelines for Hourglass-Shaped Body
Hourglass-shaped bodies have a balanced top and bottom with a defined waist. To flaunt this figure, here are some tips:
- Highlight your waist with fitted clothing such as belts or high-waisted pants.
- Tailored pieces will emphasize your curves.
- Show off your curves in body-hugging dresses, wrap dresses, and pencil skirts.
- Avoid baggy clothing to stay away from a boxy shape.
- V-neck tops will elongate your torso and draw attention to your waist.
Keep these tips in mind when shopping to enhance your hourglass-shaped body.
Clothing Recommendations for Hourglass-Shaped Body
Got an hourglass shape? Highlight your curves and create a balanced look with your clothing! Here are some tips:
- Wrap dresses and tops – these cinch at the waist, accentuating your shape.
- V-necks – they elongate your neck and draw attention to your waistline.
- High-waisted bottoms – pants, skirts and shorts that sit at or just above your natural waistline.
- Belts – cinch in your waist and show off your curves.
- A-line dresses and skirts – flare out from your waist, highlighting your hips.
- Most importantly – wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident!
If your shoulders, waist and hips are the same size, these tips can help you accentuate your figure.
- Belt it: Wear a belt or clothing that cinches at the waist to define your shape.
- Curve it: Choose tops with ruffles or bottoms like flared skirts to add curves.
- Layer it: Layers give dimension and shape. Try a cropped jacket over a fitted top for a waistline.
- Embrace it: Wear clothes that make you feel confident and comfortable.
Pro tip: Avoid loose, shapeless pieces that can make you look boxy.
Guidelines for Rectangle-Shaped Body
For rectangle-shaped bodies, here are some tips for stylish clothes:
- Create curves with ruffles, draping, or peplum tops.
- Cinch the waist with belts, high-waisted pants, or dresses.
- Add volume to your upper & lower body with A-line skirts & wide-leg pants.
- Avoid adding bulk with boxy jackets or horizontal stripes.
- Draw attention to your face with a scoop or v-neckline.
- Experiment with textures like lace or sequins to add dimension.
- Remember, the key to dressing flatteringly is highlighting the best features & creating balance.
Clothing Recommendations for Rectangle-Shaped Body
Rectangle body types can be made to look more curvaceous with the right clothing choices. The goal: create the illusion of a waist and add dimension. Here’s how:
- Belts: Add one to define the waistline, creating curves and highlighting the slimmest area.
- Layering: Jackets, cardigans, or tops can add dimension and create curves.
- Textures/Fabrics: Lace can create the illusion of curves, while flowy and soft fabrics hug in all the right places.
- Flared Jeans/Pants: Slightly flared from the knees down can create an hourglass figure.
- Bodycon Dress: Accentuate the waistline and hug the curves of the body.
Dressing for your body type is all about balance and proportion. Highlight the areas you love while minimizing less confident areas.
Inverted Triangle-Shaped Body
The inverted triangle-shaped body type is characterized by broad shoulders, a wide chest, and a narrow waist and hips. Dressing to flatter this shape involves balance and focusing on the lower body. Here are some top tips:
- Wear A-line skirts, wide-leg pants, and dresses that flare out at the bottom. This will emphasize your lower body.
- Avoid shoulder pads and embellishments that add volume to your shoulders.
- V-neck and off-shoulder tops draw attention away from your shoulders and create the illusion of narrower shoulders.
- Use accessories like necklaces and scarves to draw attention to your lower body.
- Turtlenecks and high-necked tops should be avoided as they make shoulders appear wider.
Pro Tip: Have fun experimenting to find what works best for you. Dress to create balance and highlight your best features.
Guidelines for Inverted Triangle-Shaped Body
Women with an inverted triangle-shaped body have wide shoulders and chest, a slim waist, and narrower hips. Here are tips to dress your figure and emphasize your best features:
- Tops: Wear V-neck or scoop neck tops to elongate your torso and draw attention to your waist. Skip padded shoulders and embellished tops that add volume to the upper body.
- Bottoms: Choose bootcut or flared pants and skirts to create balance and complement your hips. Stay away from tight or tapered pants that highlight your narrow lower body.
- Dresses: Pick dresses with a defined waist and a flared skirt to create an hourglass silhouette. Avoid strapless or off-the-shoulder styles that show off broad shoulders.
- Colors and patterns: Bright colors and bold patterns add dimension to your lower body. Skip horizontal stripes and busy patterns that make your upper body look bulkier.
- Accessories: Statement jewelry, scarves, and belts draw attention to your waist and lower body. Don’t go for chokers or short necklaces that emphasize your broad shoulders.
Following these guidelines helps you create a balanced and flattering outfit that suits your inverted triangle-shaped body!
Clothing Recommendations for Inverted Triangle-Shaped Body
Inverted triangle-shaped bodies have broad shoulders, narrow hips, and a defined waistline. Clothing should balance out the proportions and show the waist. Here are some tips:
Tops: Go for V-neck or scoop-neck tops to draw attention to the collarbone and neck. Avoid boat necks, halter necks, and anything with too much detail on the shoulders.
Bottoms: Pick bottoms with horizontal stripes, prints, or details to add to the hips. Flared pants, A-line skirts, and high-waisted bottoms are great to make the hips look curvier.
Dresses: Empire-cut dresses and wrap dresses flatter the waistline. Don’t wear dresses with puffy sleeves or structured shoulders.
Outerwear: Blazers and jackets with shoulder pads make the top look wider, so choose soft tailoring, unstructured blazers, or draped jackets.
Pro Tip: Don’t hide or change anything. Enhance your best features and feel confident in your own skin.
Dressing for Special Occasions
When dressing for special events, consider your body type. Petite, tall, curvy or plus-sized? Knowing your shape is key for looking your best. Highlight your features and downplay flaws. Here are some tips for finding the perfect special occasion outfit. Fit and fabric matter – choose wisely!
Tips for dressing for a formal event
Formal events can be intimidating. But with these tips, you’ll feel confident and stylish. Start by dressing for your body type. Here are some tips:
- Pear-shaped? Opt for an A-line dress or skirt that flares at the bottom. This’ll balance out your hips and shoulders.
- Apple-shaped? Choose clothes that draw attention to your waist. Wrap dresses or belted coats work great.
- Hourglass-shaped? Show off your curves with form-fitting dresses or tops that accentuate your waistline.
- Athletic-shaped? Go for feminine cuts like fit-and-flare dresses or peplum tops. These will add volume to your hips and bust.
Tips for dressing for business casual occasions
Dressing for biz-cas occasions can be a challenge. You want to look pro, but not too official. Here are some tips:
- Stick to neutrals: Black, white, grey, and navy are classic and always look pro.
- Dress for your bod type: Choose clothes that flaunt your best features and downplay areas you’re not comfy with.
- Accessorize: Add a trendy necklace or watch to dress up your outfit and make it look polished.
- Wear comfy shoes: No hobbling in heels all day! Opt for comfortable loafers, flats, or boots.
- Keep it simple: One statement piece per outfit is enough to make an impact.
Pro tip: Check the dress code before attending any biz-cas event. Make sure you understand the expectations and follow the guidelines to avoid any fashion missteps.
Tips for dressing for smart casual occasions
When it comes to dressing smart casual, it can be tricky. The trick is to get the right blend of formal and casual attires. Here are some tips:
- Toss on a tailored blazer or sport coat for a neat look. Match it with dark wash jeans or chinos.
- Put on a dress shirt with a collar, or a casual button-up shirt. Avoid t-shirts or anything too flashy.
- Swap out sneakers or sandals for dress shoes or loafers.
- Make sure your clothes fit you well, neither too tight nor too baggy.
- Dress for your body type. Choose clothes that flatter your figure and show off your best features.
- Remember, the key to dressing smart casual is to mix formal and casual clothes in the right way. Wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I determine my body type?
A: There are five main body types: apple, pear, hourglass, rectangle, and inverted triangle. To determine your body type, measure your bust, waist, and hips and compare them to each other to see which one is the widest or narrowest.
Q: What are some tips for dressing an apple-shaped body?
A: Apple-shaped bodies typically carry weight around their midsection. Choose styles that help elongate your torso and draw attention to your legs or arms. Empire waistlines, A-line skirts, and V-neck tops are great options. Avoid high-rise pants and belts that sit at your natural waistline.
Q: How can I flatter my pear-shaped body?
A: Pear-shaped bodies have a smaller upper body and wider hips and thighs. Choose styles that highlight your shoulders and draw attention to your upper half. Structured jackets, boatneck tops, and A-line skirts are great options. Avoid clingy fabrics and tight bottoms.
Q: What are some tips for dressing an hourglass-shaped body?
A: Hourglass-shaped bodies have a balanced bust and hip measurement with a smaller waist. Choose styles that highlight your curves without adding bulk. Wrap dresses, high-waisted skirts, and fitted tops are great options. Avoid loose clothing and boxy shapes.
Q: How can I dress my rectangle-shaped body?
A: Rectangle-shaped bodies have a straight and balanced silhouette. Choose styles that create curves and add definition to your waistline. Peplum tops, belted dresses, and high-waisted pants are great options. Avoid shapeless clothing and straight silhouettes.
Q: What are some tips for dressing an inverted triangle-shaped body?
A: Inverted triangle-shaped bodies have a wider upper body and narrower hips and thighs. Choose styles that add volume to your bottom half and draw attention away from your upper half. Bootcut pants, flowy skirts, and v-neck tops are great options. Avoid high-neck tops and statement sleeves.